Whether you have already decided to undergo breast augmentation surgery, or are still in the decision-making process, more information about what to expect can help you make smart decisions.
Do your research
As with any surgery, is it important to do as much research as you can so you understand what to expect from breast augmentation surgery. It is important that you understand:
- How various levels of increases in size to your breasts will look on your frame
- If planning an increase, which type of implant would be most successful for you
- How much your surgery will cost
- Other women’s experiences with breast augmentation
That said, no one has the same figure, or breast issue that you have! While reading about other women’s experiences with breast augmentation, no other person’s experiences will give you an exact roadmap.
What to expect
Your breast augmentation journey is specific to you, but there are some elements to breast augmentation that are true for everyone across the boards, such as:
- Never assume that you know what cup size will be “best” on you: cup sizes are not universal! A C cup on one body will never look the same as a C cup on another body because every individual woman’s chest size and shape, height, and body is different.
- There are different kinds of implants, and each has its own unique shape and feel. Make sure you are familiar with the differences, so you are happy with your results. Silicone implants tend to feel more similar to natural breast tissue than saline.
- Include time off in your calculations. Breast augmentation surgery, while common, is still surgery. Your body will need time to rest and recuperate for a few weeks after your procedure. You will need some help during the first week, especially if you have children. No lifting, stretching, or other physical motions can be performed, to avoid placing strain on the incisions.
- Understanding incisions and scar location. Saline implants are filled after placement, with smaller scars – but feel less natural. Many women choose silicone, with incisions in the breast crease where they are virtually invisible, as the breast itself hides the scar.
- Everyone’s recovery time is different. You may have a friend who was back to her routine in two weeks, or another person who needed a few months before she was able to return to her workouts. Every person heals at a different rate.
- Your body will shift over the course of the first year of your augmentation (so don’t run out and buy brand new bras too soon!)
There is never a one-size-fits all approach to breast augmentation surgery, so perhaps the most important decision you can make after deciding to undertake a breast augmentation surgery is to choose the plastic surgeon that is right for you! Your surgeon takes more than just your desired outcome into consideration; she is there to make a plan that will make it possible to actually achieve the results you envision.
Board-certified Baltimore plastic surgeon, Dr. Michele Shermak, often performs breast revision surgery – a procedure to correct a less-than-satisfactory outcome from a primary surgery. It is not worth taking chances, as you will live with the results of your augmentation for years – the main concern is that your surgery should be performed correctly, the first time. Planning your augmentation includes several critical steps:
- Measuring your body to ensure that you choose the best size implants for your body
- Evaluating breast size asymmetry so your final result is breasts that are even in size, and appear natural
- Evaluating your level of skin elasticity and the quantity of your natural breast tissue to choose optimal size, shape, and projection for your implants, whether silicone or saline
- Discussing the option of natural fat transfer as an option for a completely natural, subtle increase in breast size
While you are encouraged to do your research and bring in photos of what you hope to achieve, at the end of the day you have choose a plastic surgeon who listens carefully, cares about you as a person, and has a longstanding reputation for surgical excellence. Dr. Michele Shermak offers arguably the best results in breast augmentation Baltimore, MD has to offer. To schedule a consultation, contact us here.